We were floating in the water when we ran into a problem -- the engine wouldn't lower into the water. The winds and current were pushing us out of the estuary into the breaking waves, so we hastily threw an anchor over the side to keep us from drifting onto a sandbar. It didn't take too long before they managed to get the engine lowered and we were off.
We arrived at our site, Zona Afectada, and tossed the float with its stainless steel cables over the side followed by the two cement filled buckets. Five of us then went down to move the float system over to the other four cement filled buckets that were already in place. There were over 70 pieces of stainless steel hardware holding this thing together by the time we were done.
|six cement filled buckets to hold the subsurface float in place|
The CTD was then attached to the float cable.
|CTD attached to stainless steel cable|
Once done with the installation we took a little time to explore the area. Visibility was not great, maybe about 10 feet. In particular, we were looking for abalone but found none. Magda spotted the ray shown below.
|California spotted stingray|
The total time for the dive including our safety stop was half an hour.